While house sitting this week, I confirmed the fact that I have very little will power when it comes to food. If it is around I will eat it! Chris and I love sweets and I consider myself a bit of a chocoholic, so if I see it, I eat it. Now as you know I have been on a quest for optimal health and in that process have read multiple books, articles and other blogs regarding nutritional value of food. Even knowing all I know and truly wanting to change my eating habits,I still had to muster so much will power to face " the pantry of doom."
So what is "the pantry of doom?" Well it is the name that Chris and I gave to one of the biggest and fullest pantries we have ever seen. It houses food ranging from the usual canned and boxed goods, to chips, nuts, all the baking ingredents you could ever imagine and then of course candy. Chocolates, chewies, sugary treats. So that was just the pantry, they also have an extra fridge and freezer in the garage with ice cream and cake, along with other delectable comfort foods. Now don't get me wrong, the family we were sitting for eats very healthy and there were plenty of healthy foods to choose from, but we were tested beyond belief, and I FAILED. I gave in to most of my temptations with the excuse of "we are only here a week and then I can get back on track".
Yet mid week, I was caught off guard when one of the kids we were watching sneaked a treat from the pantry. See, we had just had dinner and no more than 10 minutes later, he says he is hungry. What? We just ate! So we offered more dinner which he refused. So after multiple pleas, he stops asking for food. Then a little later, Chris saw him come secretly out of the pantry and I see him holding something as he walks up the stairs and into the bathroom. He was hungry and despite knowing right from wrong, he secretly took food. At first I couldn't believe he would stoop to sneaking a treat, but then I realized I was doing the exact same thing! I slyly entered the pantry, and secretly ate a chocolate treat because it was too tempting and despite my efforts, I couldn't resist. Food is incredibly addictive and like I said if it is around, I will eat it. So where does this lead me?... To fill my pantry with only healthy, nutritious foods that I don't have to feel guilty about eating, or more importantly, foods my girls won't have to test their will power with everyday. It doesn't mean we won't ever have treats in the house, but it will mean they will be few and far between. Plus I have discovered there is a healthy "twin" to almost any food you can think of. So if you want to stop eating a certain addictive food, then first thing is to stop buying it. Fill your cupboard, pantry and fridge with only raw nutritious foods, that way there is no other option, you have to eat it because that is all you have! Simple?! Well that is the start. More to come on what types of food to fill those pantries with.
My goal is to have a pantry of health not doom! Here is to clearing out the junk, one grocery trip at a time and creating pantries of health! Remember, You eat what you stock in your pantry.
No comments:
Post a Comment