Genetics!!
Between Chris and my parents health issues range from joint pain, intestinal problems, high blood pressure, kidney stones, liver problems, muscle cramping, and breast cancer. (I'm not even including all the siblings health issues). But the one that hit the hardest was Chris' diagnosis 3 years back of melanoma. He is now cancer free, but continually gets his routine check-ups and more times than not, they remove a mole that looks suspicious, "just in case." Cancer was in my daughters genes and there was nothing we could do about it!
Were we willing just to sit back and wait for the inevitable? Trying our best to feed them mostly healthy foods and keeping them active and strong? We put our trust in God and I continued to pray what was the best way to keep my girls healthy. The call for a change in diet kept coming up from various sources, yet I continued to ignore it, thinking that was "too radical" and "we can't do that" and "I don't think my girls could handle it--or myself".
I wasn't ready to be a social outcast who only ate foods that came directly from the earth. What about our pizza nights, Thanksgiving dinner, ice cream, all those comfort foods that we have been conditioned to love? Was I willing to give it all up in order to pass on eating habits that could possibly save our lives, that could possibly change the genetic make-up of our grandkids to come? Would it be worth it to see my children choose fruits and vegetables right from the earth over highly processed foods like corn dogs? No one said it would be easy, but I know it will be worth it. So here is to a new adventure in food and health!! Please join us and feel free to leave helpful advice.
You're amazing Kim! What a lucky family you have! Take it one step at a time, do your best, and you'll be blessed.
ReplyDeleteCamber
Congrats Kim! Welcome to the world of blogging.
ReplyDeleteRadically changing your diet is really hard AT FIRST but then it becomes so easy once you realized how much better you feel (in my case!).
Good luck!
Kim, so excited to see you guys are doing this. I fully understand what you are talking about in terms of being reluctant to start such a diet. I think you know that we've had issues with Rachel since birth...and, when she was about 1 I started researching how to get her healthy. We FINALLY (3 years later) are putting her on a gluten-free diet. It has been overwhelming, but there are tons of resources and friends already living this way. I am actually going to move the whole family to gluten-free, but it's going to take a bit for all of us to adjust. Be praying for us and we'll be praying for you guys. Wish we lived closer...miss you guys! -aurora
ReplyDelete