Friday, April 1, 2011

2 month progress check

We are about to hit 2 months since we started changing our diet, and there are some definite praises, as well as frustrations to share.  2 months ago, I would say the majority of what we ate was processed.  We had fresh fruits and veggies, but they were eaten as a small side dish, not the main course, and they were usually cooked.   As of today, I average a 75% completely raw diet. (not Chris or the girls)  This consists of fresh fruits, veggies, and sprouted nuts and seeds. We now grow our own sprouts, like alfalfa and lentils and have started our garden.  We have become completely aware of everything we are putting into our mouths and it has made a huge impact.


Praises

  • First off, I have so much more energy!! I wake up feeling refreshed and feel energized all day.  Keep in mind I am at home with my 2 little ones and I actually feel like I can keep up with them:) 
  • My "fuzzy brain" has almost cleared up and I no longer feel like I am always struggling for the right words.  
  • After a hard workout, my muscles don't get as sore, or stay tired as long as they usually do.  And I seem to be increasing in muscle flexibility.  Now, before you say "Of course those muscle things would happen the more you work out.." I must remind you that I have been doing nearly the same types of work-outs for years and my muscles truly feel different.  I have chronic knee pain from tearing my ACL in high school and usually after a soccer game my knee stays pretty sore for a couple days, however, the pain and soreness have decreased significantly. 
  • And as a wonderful bonus... I have lost 7 lbs!  I can just hear the "ugh.." "sigh" and feel the eye rolls from all the ladies out there.  I know I have always hated when women would say things like, "I wasn't even trying to lose weight."  Oh..Give me a break!! Well, now here I am on the other side, and try not to get upset when I say...I wasn't trying to lose weight.  I have eaten anything and everything I want and feel satisfied and full.  I haven't counted a single calorie or looked at the fat grams in anything.  It isn't just about what you are eating, it is how you are eating it! 
Frustrations

  • Still have sugar cravings.  I haven't been able to give up my chocolate yet, but I am truly fine with that.  I know the less I eat of it, the less I will crave it. But I also know that I don't have to stop eating it all together.  This isn't a "diet", this is a life style and if I want chocolate...I will eat it:)
  • Finding more dinners and lunch ides that my girls will actually eat.  They have always been picky eaters, so it comes as no surprise that they are fighting this change.  However, they have gotten better and I hear a little less complaints. 
The last 2 months have been a learning process and it has been a lot of fun.  I have loved trying new recipes and creating my own concoctions.  I am amazed at the variety of foods and options I have for each meal.  Before, we would eat practically the same thing every day and now we enjoy a diverse and flavorful menu.

So...what does this mean for you?  How does this help you?  I want you to see that we started out not sure what and how to change.  The point is that even small changes, can make a huge difference!  It has only been a couple months and we have seen wonderful improvements. But, we have had difficulties and I continually battle with tv, books, billboards, even just the grocery stores, that make all the unhealthy food looks so tantalizing.  But the good news is that you have the choice! You get to choose what you put into your body and what you don't.  I just hope everyone is more aware of what they are actually eating.
Next I will go over some "myths" and questions I have been asked in hopes to share that changing your lifestyle is not only possible for anyone, but lots of fun.

1 comment:

  1. I love hearing about your progress! It excites me! Way to go Jacky Family!!

    ReplyDelete